Friday, July 9, 2010

Weird Al and Me

As I was driving home from my defeat last Saturday in Billings, John Denver came on the XM with one of my favorites Take me home, country roads.  I've always had a little parody in my head for Malta, the Center of the Universe so I finally sat down and penned it.  You can sing my version the next time you hear this on the radio. After the jump.


Take my home, one ninety-one (with apologies to John Denver)

Almost heaven, north Montana
Little Rockies, mighty Milk River
Life is old there, older than the trees
Younger than the mountains, growin like a breeze

One ninety-one, take me home
To the place, I belong
North Montana, up in Malta
Take me home, one ninety-one

All my memories, gather round her
Ranchers lady, the best well water
Winds always blowin, no clouds in the sky
Sweet taste of Oly, bar smoke in my eyes

One ninety-one, take me home

To the place, I belong
North Montana, up in Malta
Take me home, one ninety-one

I hear her voice
In the morning hour she calls me
KMMR reminds me of my home far away
And crossin the Missouri I get a feeling
That I should have been home yesterday, yesterday

One ninety- one, take me home
To the place, I belong
North Montana, up in Malta
Take home, one ninety-one

CG 7/3/10



12 comments:

Ralph said...

ok, I think you may have out done your version of El Paso. I laughing my ass off. That was good. I miss home.

Milk River Madman said...

Oh no. The El Paso just needs to be written down but it is the best. "Please come to Malta" is up there as well.

Karl said...

Good afternoon MRM,

Not a bad version. But "Please come to Malta" that may be pushing it.

Have a good weekend.

Ralph said...

Crap I totally forgot about the "Please come to Malta for the springtime" " I'm living here with some friends and they got lots a room" Take me to the Mint, right now and lets knock back a few brews.

Jenny said...

shhhhhhh, but I was a HUGE John Denver growing up and one of my favorite memories is driving across Montana/South Dakota listening to "Back Home Again" on a crappy cassette player.

Anonymous said...

Not bad until I think about you singing it then I start to chuckle, check that..... laugh......hard!

Between you and RG, the stories you could tell and the lyrics you could write. 99 luft balloons

Milk River Madman said...

Karl, "Please come to Malta" will be a classic when I'm finished. All Montana references, so while you might not be able to relate, my boys will be able to. just sayin my friend.

Boxer, so great to hear from you. John Denver if fucking awesome! Don't eve be ashamed of loving the music he gave all of us. You need to grab Mr. B and come see the great state.

Anon, you obviously know me and Ralph so tell me who you are. RG sings on key. Me, well not so much but I sould great in the shower and in my pickup

Milk River Madman said...

Boxer, meant to say "is" not "if" I'm a horrible typer. Even worse when I've been drinking TITOS vodka.

Joanna Cake said...

John Denver fan over here too! My parents had one of those reel to reel tape recorders and there were a lot of tracks on it.

Can you email me with the theme for this week's MCW?

moi said...

I like the way Malta, Montana sounds. Nice ode to your 'hood. I often think of honoring mine in song, but that would mean I'd have to rhyme Albuquerque.

Milk River Madman said...

Moi,

Easy "Kind of quirky" "Waters murky" "Basted turkey" I could go on and on. We could collaborate.

Unknown said...

Love it. I can get on 191 in Arizona and drive it all the way to Malta. The trip does is great knowing what is at the end of the road (or almost the end of the road).