Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I suppose congratulations are in order

This past Saturday I travelled to Billings for my annual match play with 5Wood.  My streak of 5 consectutive wins was on the line and I've been playing pretty well lately.  I made the turn with a one hole lead but through a series of misfortune on the back (three straight holes with a ball in the water) 5Wood was able to take a 2 hole lead with 2 to play.  I won the 17th to make it 1 up in his favor.  If I win the 18th the trophy stays with me.  5 played an OK tee shot and hit the green about 40 feet short of the pin.  I missed left and gave myself nothing to work with.  I managed to save a bogey but 5Wood made his bogey as well thus winning the match 1-up.  As The Prodigy said, "great rivalries require that the other side wins every so often or it's not a rivalry."  It was a great match and the best we have both played since the "Match for the Cap" was started. 

Well played 5Wood.  I did say I wasn't going to mention anything on the blog if I lost but that would be sour grapes after the round you played.  It was fun and I'm looking forward to next year.  When the cap returns to its rightful place in my closet.

4 comments:

5Wood said...

It must be noted that no one had more than a 2up lead all day and that wasn't until the 16th hole and the lead changed 4 times.... MRM did win 94 vs. 98 which is exaclty as it should have been him being a 19 and me a 23... It was the best match we've had that's for sure especially since I came out ahead.

Milk River Madman said...

I was going to post our scores as 74-78 but knew the vertically challenged one would read it and call bullshit so just left the scores out to increase dramatic effect.

5Wood said...

He of the Two-Bellies would definately have to put his 2 cents worth in if you had posted those scores...

The Prodigy said...

Okay Shitheads!!! Next year we play best ball. You two against me and I get 1 shot a side. The cap will return to it origin never to be seen again.