Tuesday, October 19, 2010

MCW Favorite Foreign Actor

Boxer started this meme back in February I believe and I'm heading the show for now. Most of you know how it works but if you're new here (for which I greatly thank you) here's how it works. A theme is picked each week. You choose a movie to fit the theme and find a clip, preferably three minutes or less, and post it on your blog. Announce in the comment section of this post that you are up and we'll come and pay you a visit. It's simple really. If you are looking for the theme it's usually posted under the MCW banner on the right side of my drivel by Thursday.

So this week I've chosed favorite foreign actor.  It's a wide range but then we do have some readers who aren't from America and their choices will be interesting.  There are a bunch of great actors.  John Gielgud and Alec Guiness come to mind.  All of the guys who have played James Bond.  How about some great Aussies in Mel Gibson (politics and domestic abuse aside) Russell Crowe and Hugh Jackman. 

However, I did say favorite.  My favorite foreign actor is a man almost my own age I grew up with him and one of the most famous characters he portrayed was Alex P. Keaton, the ultra-conservative honors student in Family Ties. Of course I'm talking about Michael J. Fox.  Even though I consider Canada the 51st state, he's still a foreigner.  I'll be honest, until I started typing I was really leaning towards Michael Caine just because he's a great actor with wide range and doesn't seem to make to many bad movies but went with Fox on sentiment. Add the fact that he's only a couple of years older than me and that I could dunk on him (that's not a Parkinsons joke, dude is short0 and we have a winner.

Of course he made millions as Marty McFly in the Back to the Future movie but my favorite Fox roll is Brantley Foster in The Secret of My Success.  Fox was pure comedy gold.  From Family Ties and Spin City to the aforementioned movies along with Doc Hollywood and of course Teen Wolf, Fox was also pretty much box office gold as well.  That he has Parkinsons is truly sad but he still has his mind and his family for which he is thankful.  I'm thankful I was able to enjoy him for as long as he performed.






"A medely. Gee,that's nice. Why are you singing a medley Aunt Vera?"

9 comments:

sparringK9 said...

good choice - although when i think foreign -canada doesnt come to mind. i guess when the subtitles are in russian it makes up for that.

i like MJF. I loved back to the future he was brilliant in it. i havent seen the secret to my success but it looks like a ton of fun.

THanks again for hosting! I am up!

Milk River Madman said...

I can only think of two films I've watched in the last ten years that were subtitled. "Kung Fu Hustle" and "The Passion of the Christ". I've turned the subtitle feature to "on" when I've watched "Snatch" but that's about it.

Joanna Cake said...

LOL, Even some of us Brits struggled without subtitles for 'Snatch' ;P The one that I really could not understand was Kidulthood and these people live about 30 miles down the road :)

MJF has always been a great favourite. Smart, funny and so dignified.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's interpretation of 'foreign' cos, of course, to me, all the Yank actors are foreign but Michael Caine is one of our own :)

Buzz Kill said...

MJF is a great choice. Back to the Future, An American President (chick movie I always stop and watch) and the Secret of My Success are his best.

I'm up at the Buzzkill with my own 51st state choice.

I'll be around tonight to visit everyone.

Happy MCW!

Princess said...

Hi Madman Nearly forgot it was Wednesday.
I'm Up celebrating the Poms! They still count as foreigners to me...
MJF good actor, sad that he developed parkinsons disease. who knows what other classics he might have made...

moi said...

I like him, too. Plus, he owns pit bulls :o)

I'm UP with Anthony Hopkins.

Thanks again for hosting; yer doing a a hell of a job!

Karl said...

Good morning MRM,

I haven't seen it, but I will. Fox is such a fine talent.

I'm up, O'tooleing around today.

Pam said...

Great choice. Even saw him in the audience this week on Dancing with the Stars. I really admire him. Positive in the face of adversity. We can quote Back to the Future verbatim at my house. And this movie is an absolute fave of husby. I'm up on my page with a heart throb. But now I wish I had gone with Michael Caine.

Aunty Belle said...

oooh....thas' a thin line--Canada. Well. So.


Have never seen Secrets--an I did chuckle right out loud.

Fun theme--sorry I din't play this time. (been on the road an near brain daid).

Youse doin' a fine job MRM.

Happy MCW!